Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mother’s Day Recipes



Recipes Handed down from Wonderful Mothers
In the spirit of our Mother’s Day Tribute all of our recipes this month have a story of love and tradition. Each one reminds us of a person who made this special food for us.
As we prepare these dishes for the people in our life we are passing on the love of a special person. Food is a special part of our human emotions. When we share a meal (or a recipe) with each other we open a pathway for friendship. This is what we hope to do with you.
We hope to make new friends by sharing our favorite recipes with a short story about the person that passed it down to us. If you have not written your Mother’s Day Tribute, yet, get started and email it to us. This is a perfect way to give from your heart this Mother’s Day. contact@mom-stuff.com
Ninety Minute Bread-for beginners
Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
3 envelopes dry yeast
½ cup sugar
4 teaspoons melted shortening
4 teaspoon salt
2 cups warm water
About 9 cups of flour
Instructions:
Mix ingredients in order listed. Let rise 15 minutes. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Makes 3 loaves. Knead 1 minute. Place into greased pans and let raise 30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
This recipe was shared with me when I was a new young bride in Cosmetology College by my favorite Instructor. She promised me it was easy and fail proof. She was right and I have shared it with lots of friends through the years. If you have not tried to bake bread try this one it is 100% guaranteed by my College Instructor
Egg, Gravy, Toast
Ingredients:
6 hard boiled eggs-cooled
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat.
4 tablespoon flour
Milk
Salt and pepper
Bread-toasted
Instructions:
Boil eggs for 15 minutes and cool Peel the eggs Cut off the egg whites and dice them
Mash the yokes Make a white sauce. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Mix in the flour and stir until flour is slightly cooked.
Slowly add about 2 cups milk stirring until white sauce is smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Add in the egg whites Let family break up the toast onto their plate. Pour the gravy over the toast. Sprinkle the yokes on top.
Egg, Gravy, Toast is a meal my mother’s mother made for her family. My mother made this for on special occasions for breakfast.
Porcupine Meatballs
Ingredients:
1 can of tomato bisque soup
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 lb hamburger
1 onion finely chopped
1 ½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Instructions:
Mix one can of soup with one can of water In a separate bowl mix rice, hamburger, onion, salt, pepper and 4 tablespoons soup; mix well. Form into balls. Place into a casserole dish; cover with remaining soup. Back at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes covered. Uncover and back for 15 minutes. Serves five. This is one of my favorite meals as a child. It takes a long time to cook so it is not very popular now, but it is worth the time for my Mother. Thank you, Mom. I have tried to modify the recipe for minute rice but you lose the favor and the texture. You can cook this in a pressure cooker for 25 minutes.
Banana Snack
Ingredients:
Bananas
Sunflower Seeds
Instructions:
Take bananas and eat as a whole banana and dip into a bowl of sunflower seeds. Or cut the bananas up in slices and put in a bowl with sunflower seeds.
I know this sounds really weird but growing up my mom would always make this snake for us. Not only is it healthy for you but we really enjoy it. I thought of sharing this with you came to me when I had my nephew over the other night. I pulled the bananas and sunflower seeds out he asked me what I was doing. I had not realized that this might look odd. However it was really fun to get to share this with him and pass down a treat that reminded me of my mom and his grandma.

1 comment:

  1. These sound wonderful! I love learning new recipes... :)

    Following you back from MBC. What a cute place you have here!

    Hugs,
    Genny

    ReplyDelete